Ruth Ann Dowler, special services coordinator, addresses the Van Wert City Board of Education during its meeting Wednesday evening. (DHI Media/Sherry Missler)
Anthony Adams was elected president of the Van Wert City Board of Education at the Board's organizational meeting Wednesday evening. Dr. Rachel White was elected vice president. The Board then proceeded to appoint Board representatives and establish dates, times, and place for regular meetings during the calendar year. There were presentations to the Board as well as a video celebrating the members' efforts as part of School Board Recognition Month.
During his portion of the regular meeting, Superintendent Mark Bagley spoke on the COVID situation as well as Senate/House bills. On the effect COVID has had on attendance, Bagley said, "Overall our numbers are very good." He told the Board the district has made progress in remote learning and the substitute House Bill may provide the district some relief when it is looking for substitute teachers. "Substitute teachers are always a challenge for us," Bagley said. He added the bill provides flexibility for districts. He concluded, "I'm not sure if we'll use it or not, but it's good to have that in our arsenal."
Assistant Superintendent Bill Clifton spoke on the vaccine roll-out plan. He said the district seeks to "provide as much education as we can" to staff members so they can decide what course of action they wish to take regarding the vaccine.
The Board was informed that Frankie Bowen, Tricia Hughes, Brooke Lehman, Andrea Mead, and Katie Krieg shall be advanced on the salary schedule effective Feb. 1 and notified of a residential CRA application by the city of Van Wert.
In other matters, the Board:
* Recognized the Van Wert High School Athletic Boosters, Van Wert High School Band Parents Association, and Van Wert Elementary PTO as official support organizations for Van Wert City Schools.
* Accepted the resignation of Scott Cunningham, custodial-maintenance worker, effective Jan. 4 and the resignations, due to retirement, of Sue Lichtle, elementary school paraprofessional, and Brad Scheidt, high/middle school head custodian, effective at the end of the 2020-2021 contract year.
* Accepted the resignation of Veronica Cuevas, Early Childhood Center secretary, effective Feb. 22.
* Acknowledged donations to the Van Wert City Schools from the Van Wert County Foundation, Robert and Dawn Sloan, Family, Career & Community Leaders of America and Van Wert Health.
* Approved supplemental contracts to Greg Steinecker, Sean Kennedy, Bill Steinecker, Scott Bigham, Brian Bollenbacher,
Alex Schmidt, Charlie Witten, Eric Putman, Jim Werts, Cole Harting, Jeremy Kitson, Mark Collins, Nate Hoverman, Rachel Dickman, Hannah Phlipot, Ben Laudick, Kim Laudick, Kerry Koontz, Steve Sealscott, and Bryce Crea.
* Accepted the resignation of Hugh Saunier from his supplemental contract as school musical assistant director and amended the supplemental contract for Matt Saunier as school musical assistant director from half to full.
* Approved a resolution to expand employment of substitute teachers.
* Approved the 2022 tax budget, as well as tax rates and values.
* Approved continued membership in the Ohio School Board Association for calendar year 2021.
* Authorized the treasurer of the Board of Education to request advance draws on tax settlements when available and as needed, invest inactive and/or interim funds, pay all bills within the limits of the appropriations resolution, and attend the public records training for the school system in compliance with House Bill 9.
* Named the superintendent the purchasing agent for all funds except athletic and food service funds within appropriations approved by the Board of Education.
* Authorized the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee to approve the use of school buses for non-routine trips and to establish bus routes and pickup points.
* Authorized the superintendent to approve professional meeting attendance for certified and classified staff and to apply for local, state and federal grant programs/funds. Designated the superintendent the approving official to review and approve student activity budgets.
*Authorized the superintendent to employ substitutes and temporary personnel as needed, hire staff and accept resignations between board meetings, and approve special education cooperative agreements as necessary.
* The Athletic Director was appointed purchasing agent for athletic account purchases.
* The Food Service Director was appointed purchasing agent for food service purchasing.
* Approved “then and now certificates” to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation for the amount of $47,178 for 2021 Workers’ Compensation premium and to the Northern Buckeye Education Council for the amount of $16,250 for NOVA license for grades 3-12.
At the end of the meeting, the Board adjourned into executive session to discuss the employment of public personnel. There was no action taken.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Van Wert City Schools Board of Education is set for 5 p.m.on Wednesday, Feb. 24 in the First Federal Lecture Hall.
Original article courtesy of Times Bulletin